THE RED BOOK
2ND GRADE SKILLS FOR BEGINNING READERSThe Common Sense Press second grade reading program continues phonics instruction that will bring confidence and fluency to the beginning reader. The updated third edition is even easier to use with the new readers that give your student more practice in mastering phonics. Students will enjoy the exciting stories in the readers and use them to learn grammar, creative writing, higher-order thinking skills, and much more. The program includes a Teacher Book, a Student Activity Book, and 6 readers, each containing several stories all packaged in a convenient, attractive full-color box. There are three supplemental readers that can be used for additional practice, but are not necessary for the program.
- 36 weekly lessons divided into easy-to-use daily plans. Lessons require little or NO preparation! Instructions and activities for phonics, reading skills, grammar, creative writing, and higher-order thinking skills taken from six delightful readers! Includes a quick review of first grade phonics and instruction in advanced phonics.
- The "real book" read alouds needed for this program may be obtained through your library or purchased from bookstores or catalogs.
- Enrichment Activities included in The Red Book Program will challenge your student with thinking, writing, and creative activities that are ideal for the fluent reader and easily adaptable for the nonreader.
- Handwriting instruction teaches upper and lower case letters, numbers, PLUS punctuation! Illustrated practice sheets encourage your student to do his best.
- Phonics Facts, Grammar Guides, and Punctuation Pointers keep students on track.
- Games, word-wheels, flip books, and MORE hands-on projects and activities are effective for ALL types of learners.
- Spelling lessons include spelling lists, word puzzles, and spelling tips.
- Assessments enable teachers to evaluate progress. Phonics Facts, Grammar Guides, Syllable Sense, and Punctuation Pointers aid students in remembering the tricks of the trade for reading, grammar, and spelling.
- Essential to the program, additional consumable Student Activity Books may be purchased separately
Our second grade reading program includes a Teacher Book, a Student Activity Book, and six readers all packaged in a convenient, attractive full-color box.
LLATL 3rd: Red Book 2nd Grade Complete Program
Continuing the excellent phonics, reading, and language arts instruction of the LLATL Blue Program, the Red Program incorporates the same effective methodologies and teaching strategies. The user-friendly teacher's manual (Red Book) with 36 weekly lesson plans is comprehensive and thorough with little teacher preparation needed. The heftier Student Activity Book reviews skills taught in the first grade program and reinforces new skills with a similar assortment of excellent activities: word wheels, flip books, games, and cut and paste activities. More emphasis is placed on poetry, sentence structure, grammar and writing - all learned in the context of stories. Spelling is also emphasized more with weekly word lists, visual representation of words, and puzzles and games for review/reinforcement. The six readers are longer but just as engaging with soft-hued color print rather than black & white. Periodic skill assessments give the teacher the tools to decide what the student needs to review. The program includes the Red Book (teacher's manual), the Student Activity Book, and six readers. The Student Activity Book and readers are sold separately for additional students. The Read-Aloud Library is integral to the program but sold separately (or available from the library). ~ Janice