AAS: Level 2 Teacher & Student Pack
What Does My Student Need to Know before Beginning Level 2?
Students should complete All About Spelling Level 1 before starting Level 2. All About Spelling is a building block program: each level builds upon the previous one. In order to build a strong foundation, most students start with Level 1. If you have questions, please contact us and we'd be happy to help!
What will my student learn in Level 2?
In Level 2, your student will continue to learn encoding skills, reliable spelling rules, and multisensory strategies for spelling, along with exciting new concepts including 11 new phonograms, vowel teams, syllable division rules, Silent E and Vowel-Consonant-E words, blends, and R-controlled syllables. Phonological awareness and encoding skills are taught throughout Level 2. Below is a sampling in each area:
- Learn phonograms WH, EE, ER, AR, OR, OU, OY, OI, AW, AU, and OW
- Spell one-syllable words ending in Y, such as fly
- Spell words with I or O followed by two consonants, such as find or gold
- Spell words with blends at beginning and end, such as twist
- Spell words containing soft C and soft G, such as raceand page
- Spell words ending in the sound of /v/ and /u/, such as give and glue
- Spell words containing the third sound of A and the third sound of U, such as wash and push
- Spell Vowel-Consonant-E (VCE) words
- Spell words with two closed syllables
- Spell words with with open and closed syllables
- Learn to pluralize words ending in Silent E
- Learn to distinguish between open and closed syllables
- Learn procedure for spelling multisyllable words
- Learn that every syllable has at least one vowel
- Divide compound words, VCCV words, and VCV words into syllables
- Learn words with the R-controlled syllable type